Re: Controlling the number of users in the database

From: Richard Kuhler <noone_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 00:21:14 GMT

Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> comments embedded
>
> On 22 Nov 2004 13:44:13 -0800, daniel.ostertag_at_visaer.com (DanO)
> wrote:
>

>>I have been tasked with finding a way to control (limit) the number of
>>users that log into the Oracle database while using our proprietary
>>application product.  For example, a client may buy our product and
>>purchase a 100 user license.  We need a way to prevent the 101st user
>>from logging into the database.

>>I know about the init.ora params (sessions, processes, and
>>license_max_sessions), but these can be changed by a DBA.

> So what? What's so special about your propietary application you don't
> trust DBA's? If your application is that special as a DBA I probably
> don't want to maintain it.

<snip>

The President of the company says, "I've found this great new software that will make our company more profitable." Assuming this license protection mechanism requires no special installation or additional maintenance and limits the system in no way other than the number of users of their application, just what argument are you going to make here?

--
Richard Kuhler