Controlling the number of users in the database

From: DanO <daniel.ostertag_at_visaer.com>
Date: 22 Nov 2004 13:44:13 -0800

I have been tasked with finding a way to control (limit) the number of users that log into the Oracle database while using our proprietary application product. For example, a client may buy our product and purchase a 100 user license. We need a way to prevent the 101st user from logging into the database.

I know about the init.ora params (sessions, processes, and license_max_sessions), but these can be changed by a DBA. Plus these can be misleading as one connection can spawn several processes.

Does anyone know of a product or a method whereby I can record a user logging onto the database and add to a counter (and do the opposite for logoff)? I'm sure a home-written solution could be created using event triggers, etc. but I'm hoping not to re-invent the wheel if somebody knows of a system, method, or little know parameter that can work.

Thanks,
Dan Received on Mon Nov 22 2004 - 15:44:13 CST