Re: Howard Rogers

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 18:28:52 +1100

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1099465815.13430_at_yasure...
> I have no doubt you didn't know Jonathan would do it and given what both
> you and Jonathan have contributed to the community I am delighted rather
> than offended that he did.
>
> That said ... your timeline for a 10g book is fine with me. It is just
> that at this point in time I have no-one asking me about 9i

Don't you have people asking about RAC? Or Data Guard? Or RMAN?

How much difference is there between the 10g and the 9i implementation of RAC, just to take one example?

I know there are licensing differences, which is fair enough. And things might now actually work that should have worked in theory in 9i. But fundamentally, it's the same.

Point is, Jonathan Lewis' Practical Oracle 8i is still vital reading for 9i and 10g database users. Same goes here. There's lots of SQL experiments to try on, for example, Workspace Manager... all of which works unchanged in 10g.

Defensively, perhaps, I'm suggesting that the arrival of a new version doesn't suddenly mean the features that appeared in the previous version cease to have relevance. Oh, and bear in mind this is a 9i *Release 2* new features. When does that version of Oracle expire?

Maybe I should have called it "experimenting with advanced Oracle"? But I hope to high Heaven I don't have to start having focus groups on what titles to give to my scribblings!

>so a 9i book
> isn't of much value except as a recommendation to my students whose
> companies may well be moving to 9i or who may have 9i but not really
> know it.

Well, I'm not going to argue that too much. That's fine. But that means you never recommend Practical Oracle 8i? That's a shame... it's one of the best books I know for seeing the *practicalities* behind implementing anything in Oracle. And what version was Tom using when he wrote 'Expert One on One'? And I know for a fact you still recommend that one!!

>Right now I have a voracious appetite to fill a bookshelf with
> 10g books. Now if I just had the time to read them cover-to-cover.

Understood... I just wonder what possible quality such a bookshelf could have right now?!

> Anyway ... Thanks Howard and thanks Jonathan.

Likewise. I'm not having a go at you (this time!). I'm just saying that I couldn't start 10g without knowing what has gone on in 9i. Just as I only made sense of half of 9i because I'd seen what was new in 8i.

But anyway. I'm not trying to promote anything or defend anything. I wanted to write it because it made things clearer for me. Whether it helps anyone else is up for them to decide.

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Nov 03 2004 - 01:28:52 CST