Re: Howard Rogers

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 23:11:21 -0800

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
>

>>Jonathan Gennick wrote:
>>

>>>I am *very* pleased to present this link:
>>>
>>>http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/oracle9ipdf/
>>>
>>>Best regards,
>>>
>>>Jonathan Gennick
>>>Editor, O'Reilly Media
>>>906.387.1698   mailto:jgennick_at_oreilly.com
>>
>>Thank you for doing so.
>>
>>And I won't say a single word about a "promotion" as Howard has
>>been a major contributor to these groups for years and a valuable
>>member of the Oracle community (even if at times we try each other's
>>patience). But Oracle 9i? How about a 10g book before the release of
>>Oracle 11 Jonathan? Can you get Howard to write one?  ;-)

> I wouldn't want to. It's too early. I hate this miraculous ability of
> bookshops to have 10g books on the shelves the day the software is released!
> It can only because the authors worked with beta software. That means their
> books' content must be suspect to some extent. And, which is worse, their
> opinion of the merit of particular new features cannot possibly have any
> substance. Such books are in no position to assess the worth or merit, the
> pros or cons, of the new features available in the new release.
>
> As a a result, they all-too-frequently turn into shopping lists: 'here's new
> feature A, new feature B, new feature C....' and on and on and on, without
> any sense of insight or discrimination.
>
> 10g will be properly assessable, in my opinion, in the first part of next
> year.
>
> Incidentally, I didn't ask Jonathan to post his message, and didn't know he
> would.
>
> But I finally have my own insect, which I'm rather chuffed about! Even if it
> is just a flying ant.
>
> Regards
> HJR
I have no doubt you didn't know Jonathan would do it and given what both you and Jonathan have contributed to the community I am delighted rather than offended that he did.

That said ... your timeline for a 10g book is fine with me. It is just that at this point in time I have no-one asking me about 9i so a 9i book isn't of much value except as a recommendation to my students whose companies may well be moving to 9i or who may have 9i but not really know it. Right now I have a voracious appetite to fill a bookshelf with 10g books. Now if I just had the time to read them cover-to-cover.

Anyway ... Thanks Howard and thanks Jonathan.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington