Re: Unable to load a string of length 356 into VARCHAR2(2000) column

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 18:37:57 -0700

scjfan122yahoo.com wrote:

>>>After seeing you message I tried to use the insert statement on one of
>>>the long record, and the insert operation was successful. Your hunch
>>>is right that the problem is not in the table but somewhere in the
>>>control file:
>>>
>>>LOAD DATA
>>>
>>>INFILE 'xxx.dat'
>>>
>>>APPEND
>>>INTO TABLE yyy
>>>
>>>FIELDS TERMINATED BY '|'
>>>
>>>(zzz "RTRIM(:zzz, ' ')"
>>>,timestamp "TO_DATE(:timestamp, 'YYYYMMDD')"
>>>)
>>>

>>>Where do I miss?
>>>

>>>Simon
>>
>>I have never seen the problem be anywhere except in the data itself. Look
>>for embeded carriage returns.

> I have tried with a long text string without any embeded carriage
> returns, and the loading process still fails.  It turns out that any
> text string > 256 characters will be rejected by sql*loader.  Is this
> possible a known bug for 8.1.6 sql*loader with a patch out there?
> Since I do not have a metalink account, can someone be kind enought to
> do a search?  If there is a patch, I will appreciate if he/she can
> email it to me.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Simon

8.1.6 is a known bug and has been desupported for years. Rather than beating a dead horse why not spend your time doing something useful like upgrading.

BTW: Did you bother to patch to 8.1.6.2 or are you still using the unpatched original release? Either way ... you are wasting time better spent doing an upgrade.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington