Re: Unable to load a string of length 356 into VARCHAR2(2000) column

From: scjfan122yahoo.com <scjfan12_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 22 Oct 2004 03:55:51 -0700

> >>I have never seen the problem be anywhere except in the data itself. Look
> >>for embeded carriage returns.
> >

> > I have tried with a long text string without any embeded carriage
> > returns, and the loading process still fails. It turns out that any
> > text string > 256 characters will be rejected by sql*loader. Is this
> > possible a known bug for 8.1.6 sql*loader with a patch out there?
> > Since I do not have a metalink account, can someone be kind enought to
> > do a search? If there is a patch, I will appreciate if he/she can
> > email it to me.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Simon
>
> 8.1.6 is a known bug and has been desupported for years. Rather than
> beating a dead horse why not spend your time doing something useful
> like upgrading.
>
> BTW: Did you bother to patch to 8.1.6.2 or are you still using the
> unpatched original release? Either way ... you are wasting time better
> spent doing an upgrade.

Due to the current company financial situation it has been impossible for me to get any Oracle support contract, upgrades, or patches for many years. The database server is running on Sun Solaris 2.6. I have no resources to upgrade the operating system either even if I can get hold of Oracle 9i software. I do not see this environment will change for good in any time soon. I guess I will just try to live with it by finding another way around this problem.

Thanks,

Simon Received on Fri Oct 22 2004 - 05:55:51 CDT