Re: Developer to Oracle DBA?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 18:35:22 -0700

Craig wrote:

> Thanks for that, Daniel.
>
> So my age isn't quite a factor as yet! Fantastic!

I have students in their 50s and 60s moving to Oracle so you aren't even close to thinking about age related issues. Well except for the ones about being too young.

> I have just completed downloading Oracle. (Still confused as to why it seems
> free!),

Because unlike Bill Gates ... Larry isn't a blood sucker.

  and am looking around for a good price here in the UK on the
> mentioned book. As I'm from a mySql and SQL Server background where just
> database functions were used, I'm very confused as to what a Oracle
> Developer is. It seems Oracle has a development language to create GUI's,
> reports etc built into it?

There are many different flavours of Oracle developer. You get to choose what it is you want to be. The foundation, of course, is a good working knowledge of SQL and PL/SQL.

> You can tell I don't know muchy about it, but give me a few moenths, and
> hopefully I can be helping people out!
>
> Regards,
> Craig

=-
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
(replace 'x' with 'u' to respond) Received on Fri Sep 10 2004 - 20:35:22 CDT