Developer to Oracle DBA?

From: Craig <brokenleg_at_heartattack.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 11:49:59 +0100

I'm currently a Delphi Developer (some PHP too) working with mySQL and SQL Server (And Paradox! Yuk!). Not enjoying it anymore, and wondering if it would be a good move at 30 years old, to do an Oracle course (Never even seen Oracle before!). Most of my Development till now has been DB apps, so my standard SQL is good. Delphi work is pretty hard to come by at the moment (Scotland), and also possibly relocating back to South Africa.

Can anyone advise?

Maybe point me out a few courses in the UK or SA that would be beneficial? Most jobs, though, seem to require 2 years exp in Oracle, before then even sniff at you. Can anyone advise me on how to fix that!? :)

And finally, is there a 'demo' version of Oracle that can run on my Windows PC that I can play with and try and get SOME knowldege about before doing a course?

Thanks guys,
Craig Received on Thu Sep 09 2004 - 05:49:59 CDT