Re: licneses / connections

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 21:51:30 GMT

Vu Pham wrote:

> If I convert this system to using Oracle, does it mean the license I need
> to buy is 10 ?

It means you need to discuss this with Oracle. Any advice you get here is not legally binding on Oracle, and therefore irrelevant.

Without resorting to legal interpretation, Oracle's current 'standard' database license models can be summarized as follows:

by CPU - any number of users and/or devices can access the database and you license all the CPUs on the server running the database instance;

by Name - each physical end user or end device that (updates, inserts, deletes and/or extracts) data needs an individual license regardless of how many concentrators, web servers, or other technology is between the user/device and the database. Remember - using the same database user name for 5 different end users counts as 5 separate named users.

Deviations from the above standard models can be negotiated.

Disclaimer - any license interpretation needs to be verified by an authorized Oracle representative, which does not include me!

/Hans Received on Wed Jun 23 2004 - 16:51:30 CDT