Re: Oracle 9i - is it always this big

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 21:54:15 GMT

C.O.Jones wrote:

> I've been using Oracle 8i until now. I've just downloaded
> and installed Oracle 9i Personal Edition for Windows XP.
>
> Oracle 8i took up less than 2 GB on my hard drive, but
> my newly installed 9i takes up 23 GB - is this normal? If
> so, why so large?
>
> Most of the space is taken by a single file, 20.2 GB :
> C:\oracle\ora81\Apache\Apache\logs\error_log. Is this normal?
> If its wrong, how do I reduce the file to a reasonable size?

It is not reasonable to let any log file grow without understanding the reason for that growth.

Any Log file greater than 1/2 MB is too large. You need to look at it and understand why it is growing.

Most log files (including the Alert.log) need to be trimmed periodically - after inspecting the contents. Received on Wed Jun 23 2004 - 16:54:15 CDT