Re: Konada.Db IS PURE SPAM

From: S. Davis <sadavis53_at_netscape.net>
Date: 22 Apr 2004 04:12:22 -0700

joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote in message
> > > Frank Piron wrote:
> > >
> > < Daniel Morgan wrote
> > < And Frank Piron is a spammer.

It's rather audacious to attach an advert to thousands of messages and then accuse someone of spamming for one message announcing the URL to download a free software library.

> Specifically posting in order to show off a product is considered spam
> here.

Posting a message about the availability of a new white paper, article, web site, open source library or other helpful resource is not spam unless it's overdone.

The criteria are news or not, repetitive or not. Trying to sell a product or service with repetitive postings is. Frank Piron has not done that.

> Some latitude may be given to those who have been shown to be
> helpful to the group.

A search of usenet archives shows Frank Piron has posted numerous helpful messages. Even if he had no such history, his post was not spam.

Your comment is a tacit acknowledgement of a double standard. It's an ill-conceived argument. We're supposed to believe a single posting of a non-commercial nature is spam but highly repetitive postings that promote a $600 training program are not.

> When I see links like yours, I tend to agree more with Daniel. In addition, I think you are insulting the Open Source community by not adhering to the standards of this worldwide group.

Making frequent contribution contributions to a newsgroup doesn't convey the privilege of maligning someone with impunity. The messages posted here about Frank Piron are repugnant. Received on Thu Apr 22 2004 - 06:12:22 CDT