Re: Konada.Db IS PURE SPAM

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 21 Apr 2004 16:25:31 -0700

sadavis53_at_netscape.net (S. Davis) wrote in message news:<31478145.0404202222.3b8b9469_at_posting.google.com>...
> > Frank Piron wrote:
> >
> >Konada.Db is licensed under the GPL.
> >
> > Download Konada.Db from
> > http://www.konad.de/download.htm
> > >

> < Daniel Morgan wrote
> < And Frank Piron is a spammer.
>
> and includes these links
> http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp
> http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp
>
> Konada.Db is under GPL license so no money changes hands. The Outreach
> training offerred at the address above costs $598.
>
> I find only one usenet message about Konada.Db posted by Frank Piron.
>
> There are *more than 7000* usenet messages containing "Daniel Morgan"
> and the Outreach training URL.
>
> It's clear to me who's the spammer. It's not the guy posting a message
> about a free software download. It's the person posting thousands of
> adverts for a $600 training course.

Small adverts in sigs has long been the only accepted advertising on usenet. The original custom was to have a sig no longer than four lines, that has technically gone by the wayside, although many people still follow it.

Specifically posting in order to show off a product is considered spam here. Some latitude may be given to those who have been shown to be helpful to the group. While I personally may read the charter slightly more leniently than Daniel, he is quite correctly explaining the general feeling of the group. When I see links like yours, I tend to agree more with Daniel. In addition, I think you are insulting the Open Source community by not adhering to the standards of this worldwide group.

You may search for the charter yourself, or look at it at: http://members.cox.net/oracleunix/ORACLECH.HTM

You might redeem yourself by explaining how your product works, or actually being helpful to users of this group.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Contact information should go here.