Re: Silent install of Net8 CA ??!

From: Julien <julien.palayodan_at_smpm.fr>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 14:31:37 +0200

"Hans Forbrich" <forbrich_at_yahoo.net> a écrit dans le message news: mf9bc.287$B16.99_at_edtnps89...
> Julien wrote:
>
> > Thank you for your interest to my problem.
> > How can I test NetCA and launch it alone in silent mode ?
> >
> (Why, oh why, do you top-post?)
>
> Why do you want to install NetCA in any case?
>
> Why, when you say you want to do a silent install of your 8.1.7 client,
are
> you even trying to propogate the listener - which is a server config?
>
> The main purpose of NetCA is to create one or more of (tnsnames.ora,
> sqlnet.ora, listener.ora and a few others). It is not unreasonable to
> create a master of the correct (client-related) *.ora files and copy
> it/them the client. Or even create it by hand. Or better yet, use onames
> or oid/ldap and avoid creating dedicated tnsnames files. (After having
> read the Net8 documentation at http://docs.oracle.com)
>
> I'm so confused ... why are you doing this?????

Ok, there is a problem.
My server with Oracle 8i works perfectly.

I want to configure new clients (Intel PC with WinXP Pro) to connect to my Oracle database.
So, I've downloaded Oracle client 8.1.7 on Oracle web site. (last link on this page :
http://otn.oracle.com/software/products/oracle8i/htdocs/winsoft.html)

Next, I've made a silent install for this package, it works perfectly (on NT4, it don't want to
start on XP computers but it's another subject...). After installed the client I had to configure them to connect to my server !! isn't it ?
So, I think it's the listener configuration, no ? maybe I should say Net8 configuration ?

I'd like to silently configure the connection to the server ! How can I make ?

If you are an oracle expert (maybe ?), do you know why the setup (.\install\win32\ normal, not
silent) don't start on XP computers ?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Have a nice week-end.

Julien Received on Fri Apr 02 2004 - 06:31:37 CST