Re: Silent install of Net8 CA ??!

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 14:50:57 GMT

Julien wrote:

> Ok, there is a problem.
> My server with Oracle 8i works perfectly.

Good. Step 1 out of the way - you have something to connect to.

Step 2 - make sure your Net8 Listener up and running on the service? (Service)

Step 3 - make sure you can connect to the database instance from the server

Step 4 - make sure you can connect to the database instance from a client

> I want to configure new clients (Intel PC with WinXP Pro) to connect to my
> Oracle database.
> So, I've downloaded Oracle client 8.1.7 on Oracle web site.
> (last link on this page :
> http://otn.oracle.com/software/products/oracle8i/htdocs/winsoft.html)

Good. with the following exceptions

Except by rolling out the downlloaded version into production on your client machines, you are probably violating your license agreement (the thing you had to acknowledge before downloading). But that is a different discussion.

Except that there have been patches rolled out to the software that you should get and apply through your paid access to Metalink.

Except that (AFAIK) 8.1.7 is not certified with XP and probably not going to work smnoothly. (You may get it to work, but thing could go wrong, such as silent install not working, or possibly not working properly)

Except that there are several newer versions. Which include bug fixes (but introduce new bugs :( as well). Of which, the 9i Release 2 version should be compatible with your OS and your server, and would be preferred.

> Next, I've made a silent install for this package, it works perfectly (on
> NT4, it don't want to
> start on XP computers but it's another subject...).
> After installed the client I had to configure them to connect to my server
> !! isn't it ?
> So, I think it's the listener configuration, no ? maybe I should say Net8
> configuration ?

No. The Listener listens. The client speaks and tell the listener what is needed.

The Listener is ONLY on the server and must be up and running.

> I'd like to silently configure the connection to the server !
> How can I make ?

(You obviously have not read the Oracle Concepts or the Net8 manuals at http://docs.oracle.com. I therefore conclude complex^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H configuration is not required and well beyond the scope of internet help.)

Assuming your silent install has installed the client software, you should have a TNSPING.exe and possibly a SQLPLUS.exe (plusw.exe, plus32.exe?) in the "%ORACLE_HOME%"\bin directory.

If that is the case, then the ONLY things you need are the TNSNAMES.ora and SQLNET.ora >>files<< in the "%ORACLE_HOME%"\network\admin directory. You can create those files using NetCA on one machine, make TNSPING and SQLPLUS (or ODBC, or whatever) work on that machine. You can then COPY the files to the target client machines. There are not usually a lot of changes (if any) required.

NetCA should NOT be required except on the first machine to create the files.

Unless I am missing something, silent install of NetCA should not be required.

> If you are an oracle expert (maybe ?), do you know why the setup
> (.\install\win32\ normal, not
> silent) don't start on XP computers ?

Perhaps because 8.1.7 was created before Windows XP Pro and the 8.1.7 software was not certified for XP. There have been a few changes between NT and XP that might not be compatible with 8.1.7. And the incompatibilities show up at the most inconvenient times. (And almost no one here will have any sympathy.)

One possibility is to try using a version of Oracle that is known to be compatible with the operating system. Such as 9iR2

Since you apparently do not want to read Oracle manuals, I suggest you go to http://www.dizwell.com and read the Oracle installation whitepaper for RedHat 9. Be patient but read it for the concepts, not the step by step instruction. Howard has provided ALL the relevant information to help you understand what you are trying to do, even if it on a different operating system.

> Have a nice week-end.

I think I'll have a chat with Marvin to cheer me up. (Anyone have an Improbability drive handy?)

/H Received on Fri Apr 02 2004 - 08:50:57 CST