Re: PEAR DB 1.6.0 has been released

From: Analysis&Solutions <info_at_analysisandsolutions.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 01:58:38 +0000 (UTC)

Greetings:

Wow. I didn't expect to start such a tempest. I do apologize. At the same time, as the Captain said: "What we've got here is failure to communicate." Allow me to clear up why I posted my announcement here.

First, some definitions...

PHP

---
PHP is a free, open source, widely used scripting language that is similar
to PERL and Python.  It is commonly used for other open source projects.
Here's the official spiel:

"PHP is an HTML-embedded scripting language. Much of its syntax is
borrowed from C, Java and Perl with a couple of unique PHP-specific
features thrown in. The goal of the language is to allow web developers to
write dynamically generated pages quickly." --
http://php.net/faq.general.php

PEAR
----
PEAR stands for "PHP Extension and Application Repository."  It is a
framework and distribution system for reusable PHP components.  --
http://pear.php.net/

PEAR DB
--------
PEAR DB is PEAR's database API / abstraction layer.  As my original
announcement said, it provides "an object oriented API with common methods
of accessing thirteen of PHP's database driver extensions."  Oracle is one
of those extensions.  -- http://pear.php.net/package/DB/

So, to bring all of the definitions together...  PEAR DB is a free package
that can be used by developers who need to produce web and/or command line
scripts that interact with Oracle databases.

That said, here's why I chose .misc and .server under the
comp.databases.oracle hierarchy.  When deciding which groups to post to, I
did a search for which groups had prior discussions about using PHP with
Oracle and these two came up with the most mentions.  This indicated that
people in these groups had discussed these matters and that said people,
and those coming in the future, might be interested in this bit of news.

If we're going strictly by charters, it could be argued that .tools would
have been a better location since it covers "tools... designed to work
with Oracle applications."  But .marketplace's "commercially oriented
topics" of discussion does not seem appropriate since this isn't a
commercial product.

One posters's alluded to my announcement being a free teaser to suck you
into a product for which one would eventually have to pay.  If the
definitions above didn't disprove that notion clearly enough, it's time to
emphatically state PHP, PEAR and PEAR DB are, have been and always will be
free, open source projects.

All of this aside, I found it amusing that individuals so concerned with
propriety didn't remove c.d.ibm-db2, c.d.informix and c.d.o.server from
their follow-ups and wound up flooding those groups with a very lengthy
discussion.  I hope others did as well.

Please accept my apologies for stepping on the toes of anyone who
disagreed with my decision. (I, nor you, are perfect arbiters of
propriety.)  If you continue to disagree with me, feel free to ignore /
kill file my future posts.

Thanks for your time,

--Dan

                http://www.AnalysisAndSolutions.com/