Re: Junior Oracle DBA duties

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 07:01:05 -0800

Niall Litchfield wrote:

> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
>

>>Dave Anderson wrote:
>>
>>>Greetings, i am a developer for a medium size business that is
>>>expanding. I really love what I am doing, however the company I work
>>>for has asked that I consider becomming a junior DBA and has offered
>>>paid training. Can someone please tell me what are the general duties
>>>of a junior Oracle DBA so that I can make an informed decision? What
>>>are the normal everyday tasks?
>>
>>You need to have your management define it for you. Forward looking
>>DBAs should be looking toward this as a minimum skill set
>>
>>1. backup and recovery both traditional and with RMAN
>>2. OEM
>>3. Ability to read and understand ERD and UML
>>4. Ability to read and understand SQL, PL/SQL, Java, XML
>>5. Thorough understanding of Oracle concepts and architecture
>>6. Ability to debug and tune any front-end or back-end code
>>7. Thorough understanding of the Oracle security model and tools
>>8. Thorough understanding of v$ views
>>
>>Don't worry much about init.ora parameters ... almost all of them
>>are going away forever.
>

> great advice. I agree with the sentiment expressed in the last line but not
> necessarily for the reason Dan gives
>
> on 817
> SQL> select count(*) from v$parameter;
>
>   COUNT(*)
> ----------
>        202
>
> on 9204
> SQL> select count(*) from v$parameter;
>
>   COUNT(*)
> ----------
>        257
>
> care to try 10g anyone.

Connected to:
Oracle10i Enterprise Edition Release 10.1.0.1.0 - Beta With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options

SQL> select count(*) from v$parameter;

   COUNT(*)

        255

SQL> And there may be a smaller number in the production release. We have reached the top of the curve. The number is heading downward: Steeply downward. Toward a very small number.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
(replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)