Re: Junior Oracle DBA duties

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 09:14:31 -0500

"Mark C. Stock" <mcstockX_at_Xenquery .com> wrote in message news:...

| and i would have to agree with all except the last statement, for some
very
| significant reasons
| [_] wrongly set init.ora parameters are often the cause of performance (or
| non-performance) problems
| [_] no matter how wonderful 10g is, we will still be encountering 8i, 9i,
| and even v7 and v8 databases for quite awhile
| [_] no matter how wonderful 10g is, i am not willing to 'just trust
| oracle' -- i want to know what my options are
| [_] as the init.ora file disappears, the concept of system parameters
| doesn't, just the way they are managed
|
| ;-{ mcs

found an example we ran into with a client a few months back with 9.2

the contract dba left '_system_trig_enabled' set to false after applying a patch to the development system, so our versioning system went non-operational until the parameter (which i'm not sure the dba knew the consequences of) was reset

;-{ mcs Received on Tue Mar 09 2004 - 08:14:31 CST