Re: Junior Oracle DBA duties

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 15:16:10 -0800

Dave Anderson wrote:
> Greetings, i am a developer for a medium size business that is
> expanding. I really love what I am doing, however the company I work
> for has asked that I consider becomming a junior DBA and has offered
> paid training. Can someone please tell me what are the general duties
> of a junior Oracle DBA so that I can make an informed decision? What
> are the normal everyday tasks?

You need to have your management define it for you. Forward looking DBAs should be looking toward this as a minimum skill set

  1. backup and recovery both traditional and with RMAN
  2. OEM
  3. Ability to read and understand ERD and UML
  4. Ability to read and understand SQL, PL/SQL, Java, XML
  5. Thorough understanding of Oracle concepts and architecture
  6. Ability to debug and tune any front-end or back-end code
  7. Thorough understanding of the Oracle security model and tools
  8. Thorough understanding of v$ views

Don't worry much about init.ora parameters ... almost all of them are going away forever.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu