Re: Junior Oracle DBA duties

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 02:48:11 GMT

Daniel Morgan wrote:
> Dave Anderson wrote:
>

>> Greetings, i am a developer for a medium size business that is
>> expanding. I really love what I am doing, however the company I work
>> for has asked that I consider becomming a junior DBA and has offered
>> paid training. Can someone please tell me what are the general duties
>> of a junior Oracle DBA so that I can make an informed decision? What
>> are the normal everyday tasks?

> You need to have your management define it for you. Forward looking
> DBAs should be looking toward this as a minimum skill set
>
> 1. backup and recovery both traditional and with RMAN
> 2. OEM
> 3. Ability to read and understand ERD and UML
> 4. Ability to read and understand SQL, PL/SQL, Java, XML
> 5. Thorough understanding of Oracle concepts and architecture
> 6. Ability to debug and tune any front-end or back-end code
> 7. Thorough understanding of the Oracle security model and tools
> 8. Thorough understanding of v$ views
>
> Don't worry much about init.ora parameters ... almost all of them
> are going away forever.

Paid training on company time? Take it! Whether the underlying motive for offering you the training is positive or negative, you win either way.

I would add to Daniel's minimum skill set, the following:

You should strive to acquire a working knowledge of administrative tools on one or both of the most popular platforms:

If you can't look at things from outside of the database, you will be handicapped from time to time as a DBA.

--Mark Bole Received on Mon Mar 08 2004 - 20:48:11 CST