Re: PEAR DB 1.6.0 has been released - now OT if not originally

From: Ed Avis <ed_at_membled.com>
Date: 26 Feb 2004 21:50:14 +0000

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> writes:

>We are very attuned to open source. But when one allows one vendor to
>post a message all others take that as an invitation: Open season.

I see your point. And I agree that messages from vendors do not belong on the group. But that is not the same as messages from individuals talking about projects they develop on an unpaid basis. I think it is unfair to treat developers posting useful, technical information about Oracle-related open source projects with the same contempt we all have for vendors who plaster newsgroups with marketspeak press releases. This is especially true when (as far as I can tell) the newsgroup's charter does not prohibit non-commercial Oracle-related announcements and when there is no more appropriate group.

--
Ed Avis <ed_at_membled.com>