Re: PEAR DB 1.6.0 has been released - now OT if not originally

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 08:09:41 -0800

Jonathan Leffler wrote:
> Nonsense wrote:
>

>> SPAM

> In comp.databases.informix, your posting was fine. I suspect the same
> was true of comp.databases.ibm-db2, but would defer to the denizens of
> that group if there is disagreement.
>
> It appears that your posting to comp.databases.oracle.server and
> comp.databases.oracle.misc was misguided under the rules of those
> groups. In future, post to comp.databases.oracle.marketplace - simply
> to avoid the barrage of negative emails. I agree that it seems
> unnecessarily hostile - maybe they simply aren't attuned to open source.

Au contraire. We are very attuned to open source. But when one allows one vendor to post a message all others take that as an invitation: Open season.

It is incumbent upon all persons posting to all usenet groups to read the group's charter and follow it. The Oracle group's charter specifically sets aside a group for such messages.

At the very least those that post are guilty of being rude. And that alone is enough to justify calling them spammers and to encourage others to not do business with them. Even Oracle Corp. itself is not exempt from following the rules. If someone finds it too much of a burden to read the Charter and follow the rules likely they are no someone we would wish to do business with.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu