Re: Advise needed: Can I use/learn Oracle quickly?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 07:00:32 -0800

Paul wrote:

> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu says...
>

>>Lets make sure we are communicating ... Oracle 9i Standard Edition One
>>has a 5 user license for 5 x $149 US. If you want and need an industrial
>>strenght database with Oracle's capabilities this is the best you are
>>going to get for the money.

> As I said, I'm not knocking Oracle - what I will say is that it's not
> always the best tool for the job - there are now many Open Source and/or
> free db's that perform more than satisfactorily, with none of the Oracle
> overhead in terms of money and/or disk space.
>

> Interbase is 12 MB fully installed, with a sample db of approx. 2 MB
> (client is 340 K). It is also an industrial strength database which has
> been around in commercial guise for approx. 20 years and would be my db
> of choice for most projects. 5 * 149 = $740, which could, for some
> organisations, represent a significant amount of money.
>

> Paul...

If $740 is a significant amount of money for an organization then I would suggest MySQL or one of the other free RDBMS products. But then I think you are viewing Oracle as nothing but columns and rows.

Don't expect that "free" RDBMS to provide you wish:

1. support
2. advanced queueing
3. flashback
4. clustering
5. utl_file
6. utl_smtp
7. row level security
8. packages
9. and all of the other capabilities that come with those dollars
spent on Oracle software.

Oracle may be a great technology company but they are a pathetic marketing company. The number of potential customers that don't know what comes included on the Oracle CDs is greater than 95%.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu