Re: Advise needed: Can I use/learn Oracle quickly?

From: Paul <paul_at_not.a.chance.ie>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 14:20:31 -0000

damorgan_at_x.washington.edu says...

> Lets make sure we are communicating ... Oracle 9i Standard Edition One
> has a 5 user license for 5 x $149 US. If you want and need an industrial
> strenght database with Oracle's capabilities this is the best you are
> going to get for the money.

As I said, I'm not knocking Oracle - what I will say is that it's not always the best tool for the job - there are now many Open Source and/or free db's that perform more than satisfactorily, with none of the Oracle overhead in terms of money and/or disk space.

Interbase is 12 MB fully installed, with a sample db of approx. 2 MB (client is 340 K). It is also an industrial strength database which has been around in commercial guise for approx. 20 years and would be my db of choice for most projects. 5 * 149 = $740, which could, for some organisations, represent a significant amount of money.

Paul...

--
plinehan  y_a_h_o_o  and d_o_t  com
C++ Builder 5 SP1, Interbase 6.0.1.6 IBX 5.04 W2K Pro

"XML avoids the fundamental question of what we should do,
by focusing entirely on how we should do it."

quote from http://www.metatorial.com