Re: how to link Apache and Oracle?

From: Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 20:00:26 GMT

nowayjose_at_telus.net wrote:
> On 18 Feb 2004 01:29:39 -0800, vslabs_at_onwe.co.za (Billy Verreynne)

>>>I would like to learn how to write simple web applications. I plan to
>>>use Linux and Apache, for database I will naturally use Oracle . But I
>>>don't know what is the easiest way to link Apache and Oracle. What's
>>>the easiest thing to learn: PHP, or Perl, or JSP... or something
>>>completely different? Someone mentioned Cold Fusion, I don't have it,
>>>but if it is easy I guess I can get it and learn... What is your
>>>opinion?
>>
>>PL/SQL web cartridge. There are no cons. Unless you are looking for
>>the complexity of something like a separate app tier, struggling with
>>thin JDBC issues, writing JSP code that craps all over Oracle, etc.
>>etc.
>>

> Bill, you are talking about the Oracle iAS, not generic Apache. I
> don't have the iAS, and I am not buying it for this little project.
> What I have is a Linux box with generic Apache. No Pl/SQL cartridge.
> Only what is available in the public domain.

NoWay - you have talked around in circles several times here. You started by saying you wanted a way to **learn** to write simple web apps.

We told you that Apache comes with the database and it includes predefined connection by way of the PLSQL cartridge. (We didn't mention that it also comes with PERL.)

Then we also told you the same connection is available iwith the Oracle9iAS.

Now it seems you move from 'learn' to 'purchase'. For prototyping & learning you can download either/both the database and app server free.

You also ask what is "the easiest thing to learn: PHP, or Perl, or JSP... or something", then you argue that you don't know Java (which is a requirement for JSP).

If we tell you that HTMLDB (http://marvel.oracle.com), which is a database based tool to do pretty well the same thing as Access but entirely via the web, I suspect your response would be 'I want to do it in raw Apache'.

With every suggestion you argue - it seems like you are spinning around like the stereotypical 'California blonde'. How 'bout letting us in on your secret - what are you really trying to accomplish? (Beside keeping us guessing.)

/Hans Received on Fri Feb 20 2004 - 14:00:26 CST