Re: How to create/drop a database from Java (via JDBC)?

From: Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 14:57:26 GMT

Steffen Siebert wrote:

> This seems not very different to SQLServer. If I create a new
> database, several files are created (for data, transaction log etc.)

This is similar to a developer saying techniques for developing a Java and a C++ application are the same, with just minor syntax differences.   IMO, you are heading down a frequently walked path of frustration.

Your solution lies in

a) using schemas - backup/recovery/transport is supported;
b) understanding tablespace - transport is also supported here;
c) understanding the relationship between table and tablespace;
d) understanding the differences between SQLServer and Oracle;
e) reading about Oracle concepts.

Your further questions are discussed in the Concepts manual. Again, that is accessed starting at http://docs.oracle.com .

Another source of information is anything by Thomas Kyte, from the asktom site (at http://asktom.oracle.com/) to books such as 'Expert One-on-One Oracle' (currently APress ISBN: 1590592433)

Perhaps others will be willing to discuss this further. I prefer not to have a 'yes, but' discussion in the newsgroup over something clearly documented.

/Hans Received on Fri Feb 20 2004 - 08:57:26 CST