Re: How to create/drop a database from Java (via JDBC)?

From: Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:06:46 GMT

Steffen Siebert wrote:

> No, I really need to create a database. Creating tables afterwards is
> no problem, but to create the initial database via application (java)
> seems to be tough with oracle. But since we were able to implement our
> program for MS SQL, Postgres and SAPDB, I'm still hoping that also
> Oracle can be tackled.

Hmmmm. This ain't gonna be easy. Basically you need to get at Oracle before Oracle exists, and that means getting at the SQLPlus Admin mode (equivalent to the old svrmgr). Since everything traditionally goes through the listener, and there is likely no listener in this environment, you have a real mind-bender.

> HF> If you want to create complete Oracle databases, you are
> HF> likely going to be facing your own worst nightmare. Those of
> HF> us who want to retain sanity tend toward using DBCA (or manual
> HF> scripts like those created by DBCA).
>
> We can't use dbca since the database creation should be part of a
> unattended setup. I wasn't able to create a sql script with dbca, is
> the script pure sql which could be executed via jdbc?

You also introduce a number of other interesting concepts here (including unattended or no administration). I'm not sure any shop with an Oracle DBA would support what you are trying to do. (In addition, you are treading on some very fine licensing lines, but that's a bear of a different colour.)

> The problem of the oracle documentation is that I can't read all of it
> and it's hard to find out where the knowledge is hidden which I need
> to solve my problem. Thus my call for help here :)

I suspect that you want to look at Oracle's Installer, which is exposed as the Oracle Packager.

I strongly suggest some additional time in the Oracle 'Concepts' manual, available from http://docs.oracle.com

-OR- (late thought)
... would Oracle Lite be sufficient? It's a completely separate animal from the traditional Oracle database (eg: afaik, it's got a java core) and potentially remotely installable. Unfortunately not an area I know well.

/Hans Received on Thu Feb 19 2004 - 16:06:46 CST