Re: How to create/drop a database from Java (via JDBC)?

From: Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:12:21 GMT

DJ wrote:

> "Steffen Siebert" <news_at_SteffenSiebert.de> wrote in message

>> HF> I highly suspect you are confused about the term 'Database'.
>> HF> Oracle uses it to define the complete set of files related to
>> HF> their RDBMS.
>>
>> HF> Many others, espcially those who have experience with SQL
>> HF> Server, Access, FoxPro and the like use the term database to
>> HF> mean something similar to an Oracle SCHEMA.
>>
>> HF> If you want to be able to create one of more tables, you
>> HF> likely want to learn about schemas. And DDL.
>>
>>No, I really need to create a database. Creating tables afterwards is
>>no problem, but to create the initial database via application (java)
>>seems to be tough with oracle. But since we were able to implement our
>>program for MS SQL, Postgres and SAPDB, I'm still hoping that also
>>Oracle can be tackled.
>>
>> HF> If you want to create complete Oracle databases, you are
>> HF> likely going to be facing your own worst nightmare. Those of
>> HF> us who want to retain sanity tend toward using DBCA (or manual
>> HF> scripts like those created by DBCA).
>>
>>We can't use dbca since the database creation should be part of a
>>unattended setup. I wasn't able to create a sql script with dbca, is
>>the script pure sql which could be executed via jdbc?
>>
>>By the way, since dbca seems to be written in java, is there a
>>documented java api used by dbca which can be used by java developers
>>for their own programs too?
>>
>> HF> You may also want to spend some time looking in Oracle's
>> HF> extensive docco for Application Developers - it's available as
>> HF> part of the database documentation for your database version,
>> HF> at http://docs.oracle.com. While you are there, consider
>> HF> browsing around the Concepts manual - it's worth reading
>> HF> several times.
>>
>>The problem of the oracle documentation is that I can't read all of it
>>and it's hard to find out where the knowledge is hidden which I need
>>to solve my problem. Thus my call for help here :)
>>
>>Ciao,
>> Steffen
>

> Heres an idea - run dbca once - you can save the scipts at the end, then you
> can see what these scripts do and copy the commands

Probably won't work remotely unless he has Java head straight to the OS (shell). The core admin tool to create a database, as well as create & manage the instance, is SQLPlus - and AFAIK that has no inbound connectivity.

The more I think about this - where are the Oracle executables? The listener, the oracle[.exe] binary, etc? If they already exist, there should be a database that he can extend, otherwise .....

Even more thoughts centered around the difference between an Oracle database, and Oracle instance, and an Oracle database-instance. (This is a huge hmmmmm.)

/Hans Received on Thu Feb 19 2004 - 16:12:21 CST