Re: Advise needed: Can I use/learn Oracle quickly?

From: Ed prochak <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com>
Date: 13 Feb 2004 11:54:33 -0800

"whisky is life" <nospam_at_nospam.com> wrote in message news:<Nl2Xb.102$1e2.76_at_newsfep3-gui.server.ntli.net>...
> Erwin,
>
> I have got to say that the reaction from people here towards your question
> is absolutely appaling.

[]

> You go teach your colleagues simple SQL Erwin and they can quite happily
> interogate an Oracle database with basic SQL.
>
> What I wont vouch for is the state that the database will be in without a
> professional DBA to administor it.
>
> Anyway,
> thats my tupence worth.

Erwin originally wrote:
<quote>
I know how annoying it can be when somebody drops into a newsgroup with
questions like this (happens to me all the time in c.l.java.*), so please
forgive me for that. :-)

Thank a lot for your time!

Regards,
Erwin Moller
<end quote>

to whisky,
The fact that many in this group, including me, got annoyed is then surprising?

Your points about the state of the DB are exactly what Daniel and others are talking about. Remember the quote "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing..."?

to Erwin,
Hopefully you understand the annoyance since you experience that same in c.l.java.* groups. There are lots of folks that claim knowledge of ORACLE that haven't a clue about what they don't know. Your friends may not even realize that they may start sliding into that hole after your class.

showing them the basics is okay, as long as they are aware that you are not teaching them much beyond chapter 1. If you'd like, I can pass along some ideas and concepts off-line.

HTH,
ed Received on Fri Feb 13 2004 - 13:54:33 CST