Re: Advise needed: Can I use/learn Oracle quickly?

From: Phil Britton <phil_at_phil-britton.com>
Date: 13 Feb 2004 11:39:27 +0000

Erwin Moller <since_humans_read_this_I_am_spammed_too_much_at_spamyourself.com> writes:

<snip>
> So my question is: Why can I not use Oracle as a database when teaching
> basic SQL?

You could use Oracle for teaching BASCI sql. However sql is slightly different on all RDBMSs (outer joins for exampe) and you need to be aware of the subtle differences.

Get the DBA to set up a schema or two for you to use where you, or your pupils can't do any damage to the system. I you tell him/her what you intend to do and they ought to be able to set up something suitable.

> I know I could use any other databse I know already for that purpose.
> What kind of problems can I expect when I use Oracle for that?

The main danger is what your pupils might do to the system after you've finished with them if the now think that they are experts. "A little knowledge....."

cheers

Phil Received on Fri Feb 13 2004 - 05:39:27 CST