Re: it takes a long time to create a database

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 20:53:03 +0100

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:21:19 -0600, "Vu Pham" <vu_at_sivell.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Another stupid question :
>
>The whole Oracle installation process took me about 40-45 minutes to install
>9i ( Enterprise , Management and Client ). This process includes creating a
>database, too.
>
>Then I use dbca to create a sample database with all the default
>configuration paramaters that dbca sets ( with the exception that the data
>file is put in /u02 instead of {$ORACLE_BASE}, and this process took me more
>than 1 hour.
>
>Why dbca takes more time to create an indivual database ? Does it has more
>features ?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Vu

If I read your post correctly, that would have been the *second* database.
The first question you would need to ask yourself: Oracle not being Msaccess nor Sqlserver, why would I need to install a second database (ie a database + an instance)
Maybe your resources are at a premium, and your server is running out of it when creating a second instance. If you create a default database the resources consumed by Oracle are huge.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA