Re: Does a local connection (i.e. dedicated, w/o a listener) incur high CPU overhead?

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 13:34:37 +0100

On 11 Jan 2004 04:24:47 -0800, shauld_at_savantis.com (Shaul Dar) wrote:

>We are running SQL queries from a client on the same machine, and seem
>to have a high CPU overhead (e.g. 10-20% on a dual CPU 400MHz HP,
>Oracle 8i or 9i). We are connecting via SQL*PLUS without specifying a
>database, running under the sysdba account. As I understand this uses
>a bequeath connection, bypassing the listener and directly creating
>the processes.
>
>Does anyone have experience with a similar problem? Is it possible
>that suchconnections incurs a much higher overhead than say TCP/IP
>with MTS (shared server?)
>
>The only other relevant info I can think of is that the queries are
>issued from a TCL/TK script. Maybe it has a high process creation
>overhead!?
>
>Thanks!

How do you exactly determine 'CPU overhead' Of course, the client is directly running on the server, so likely you are mistaking the CPU cycles being used by the client for 'CPU overhead'. In itself the bequeath protocol is more efficient than TCP/IP, so your question is very strange.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA