Re: Does a local connection (i.e. dedicated, w/o a listener) incur high CPU overhead?

From: Phil Singer <psinger1_at_chartermi.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 22:53:38 -0500

Shaul Dar wrote:

> We are running SQL queries from a client on the same machine, and seem
> to have a high CPU overhead (e.g. 10-20% on a dual CPU 400MHz HP,
> Oracle 8i or 9i). We are connecting via SQL*PLUS without specifying a
> database, running under the sysdba account. As I understand this uses
> a bequeath connection, bypassing the listener and directly creating
> the processes.
>
> Does anyone have experience with a similar problem? Is it possible
> that suchconnections incurs a much higher overhead than say TCP/IP
> with MTS (shared server?)
>
> The only other relevant info I can think of is that the queries are
> issued from a TCL/TK script. Maybe it has a high process creation
> overhead!?
>
> Thanks!

I am assuming that you are looking at a top display (*nix) or the W2K equivalent, and are seeing that your shadow process is consuming Vast Quantities of CPU. Rest assured, that this is not due to a direct connection. I have been doing this for 9 years, and I assure you that this is caused by a query which requires Vast Amounts of CPU to perform. Possibilities include in memory sorts and hash joins.

If this condition continues when all rows have been returned, then something else is involved, and you will need to offer more information as to exactly what you are doing.

Phil Singer | psinger1ATchartermiDOTnet Received on Tue Jan 13 2004 - 21:53:38 CST