Does a local connection (i.e. dedicated, w/o a listener) incur high CPU overhead?

From: Shaul Dar <shauld_at_savantis.com>
Date: 11 Jan 2004 04:24:47 -0800

We are running SQL queries from a client on the same machine, and seem to have a high CPU overhead (e.g. 10-20% on a dual CPU 400MHz HP, Oracle 8i or 9i). We are connecting via SQL*PLUS without specifying a database, running under the sysdba account. As I understand this uses a bequeath connection, bypassing the listener and directly creating the processes.

Does anyone have experience with a similar problem? Is it possible that suchconnections incurs a much higher overhead than say TCP/IP with MTS (shared server?)

The only other relevant info I can think of is that the queries are issued from a TCL/TK script. Maybe it has a high process creation overhead!?

Thanks! Received on Sun Jan 11 2004 - 06:24:47 CST