Re: "We don't do triggers"

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman_at_RE-MO-VE.BountifulSolutions.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 08:18:18 +0000

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 16:27:20 +0000, Niall Litchfield wrote:

> Absolutely. That is why I'd go for the 2 code sets approach (or an sql
> generator, but these tend to be problematic).

Hi Niall,

much as it pains me to say this, Uniface (from Compuware) is an excellent database independant 4GL (well, 3.5 GL) for building database systems. It generates decent SQL and packages for Oracle. You get almost as many database drivers as there are databases - and you can build your own drivers.

Support sucks though. It's been farmed out to some god knows where place and you never get a decent answer. (IMHO)

There's a single code set for all databases, and if you write an app that runs on Oracle, to change it to run on DB2 or Informix etc, you simply change a couple of lines in the *.asn file to tell it to use a different driver and set the driver options (use rowid, use or ignore packages, array sizes etc etc (for Oracle)).

The code looks like Visual Basic with add-ons and has a lot of '$' all over the place. I hated it, but loved it at the same time.

And, it does take things like the differences between Oracle and (say) MS-SQL into account in the generated code.

My old company (Lynx Financial Systems http://www.lfs.co.uk) build a huge financial app using Uniface (well, Tenhill Computer Systems wrote it, Lynx Group bought the company !) which is used world wide by some very large banks and motor companies. In the US, we are trying to get into a Plane making company that Daniel knows quite well ;o)

Cheers,
Norm.

--
Delete the obvious bit from my email address to reply by email.