Re: "We don't do triggers"

From: Paul <paul_at_not.a.chance.ie>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 22:25:25 -0000

n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk says...

> > I'm on the periphery of a rather large (to me, at least: $10 mil..)
> > project in which the tech folks flatly say "NO STORED PROCEDURES:
> > NONE, NOT EVER!".

> > There's got to be a reason, but I don't know enough to even guess at it.

AFAICS, it's easy. They want to use Oracle + MS SQL Server (+ Sybase + <insert RDBMS of your choice>).

They can do this with bog-standard SQL + no triggers or stored procedures and run any code that they can't run under SQL on the client side (or possibly using a 2nd tier in a three-tier model).

I worked for a large company that did this - their product ran perfectly on Oracle and MS SQL Server (and I am talking millions for an install and maintainance contract), but the db had not an SP or trigger in sight.

> I'd ask. If the answer is all the logic etc belongs in the application
> explain that there will be 2 corollaries

> 1. NO DATA LOADS EVER. Key it through the app ALWAYS. even 10 million rows.
> 2. NO INTERFACES TO OTHER SYSTEMS, EVER. make other systems talk to the app.

> They both follow logically from this 'design' rule.

Makes sense.

Paul...

--

plinehan  x__AT__x  yahoo  x__DOT__x  com

C++ Builder 5 SP1, Interbase 6.0.1.6 IBX 5.04 W2K Pro

Please do not top-post.