Re: Chubb Institute for Training

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 13:29:42 -0800

Ryan Gaffuri wrote:

>do your students have experience before taking your class? are you
>stating that your students get real oracle positions out of your
>program with out any experience whatsoever. No offense, but I found
>that hard to believe. You really cant hire a DBA without experience
>anyway. They have to start as developers or Systems Administrators.
>
>what is the success rate of employment of your graduates and salary
>ranges?

My students are all industry professionals. Minimum requirement to get into the class is
a CS degree and three-five year experience with SQL and/or PL/SQL. Some have backgrounds in DB2, Informix, Sybase, and SQL Server: Very few make it in with MS
Access. The rest have been working with Oracle.

About 2/3 of my students are already employed and are motivated by one of three things (A)
a thirst for more knowledge, (B) trying to advance, (C) trying to survive a threatened cutback.

The remaining 1/3 are unemployed and looking for the knowledge to get them a decent resume,
an interview, and a job. I used to have on problem arranging internships but that has gotten far
more difficult in the last two years. For those that have found jobs about 10-15% end up at
Microsoft (MS loves Oracle people), some have ended up at Boeing, at AT&T Wireless, and
a variety of other local firms and most have doubled their pre-education income level (no jokes
about the fact that it was zero please). I have one that was hired at Nike in Portland, then took
on a contract in Dallas and just moved to another in St. Louis.

But the main thing I see is that some employers are now sending their employees to the program
and preferentially hiring graduates. It is the employer's response that is the most important feedback.
It means that they can see the difference.

Specific dollars I don't know and wouldn't provide if I did. But I do know that they are pulling down
positions normally awarded to people with senior skills and getting comensurate pay.

For those that want a sense of the curriculum here are the topics covered for the last two weeks in
the advanced program:

Class 3:
Coalesce
Unistr
SYS.ANYDATA
User Defined Types
Nested Tables
Constructors
Collections
Objects
Varrays
PL/SQL tables

Class 4:
Object Views
Type Methods
Object Table Primary Keys
The PLUSTRACE Role
The GROUP_ID() function
SQL Tuning with AUTOTRACE
The APPEND hint
DBMS_REDEFINITION Built-in Function

And if that seems rather ambitious to you ... you should meet my students. They are really that good. And we bounce around intentionally to keep the energy level high.

For the "basic" program this is what was covered during the same two week period:

Class 4:
Indexes (B*Tree, Bitmap, Reverse Key, Descending, Compressed, Partitioned, IOT)
Dump & VSize functions
DBMS_STATS
DBMS_METADATA
Translate & Replace functions