Re: Newbie question: Read text file from PL/SQL or SQLPlus

From: Richard Kuhler <noone_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 22:08:32 GMT

Baz wrote:
> Thanks for the tip. I tried using the append method & it works perfectly! :)
> Is there a limit on the number of characters that can be read from the file
> or appended?

There shouldn't be any practical limit on the file size other than the O/S and sql buffer memory limits (which are usually extremely high). However, there is a more constraining limit of 1000 items in a single in list that may affect you (you'd have to split it into multiple lists with an OR condition between them).

Note: I'm assuming you're using this for an occasional query. If this list changes a lot and you're going to run lots of these queries then the sql area is going to be strained which may adversely affect the performance of your entire system (the standard argument for using binds).

--
Richard Kuhler