Re: Oracle novice training idea

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 13:07:15 GMT

I'm not quite sure that this idea will work like you want it to. First of all, any DBA can download Oracle and install it on a test system to play around with it. So they don't need anyone else hosting a RDBMS for them. Second, how do you guarantee concurrency of multiple people trying to do different things that interfere with each other? For instance, I need to shut down the database to adjust a parameter. Kills everyone else on the database. Or, I need to adjust a parameter in my tuning efforts, but it hurts someone else's tuning efforts. Or I put a tablespace in hot backup mode just as another takes it out of backup mode. I just don't see that its worth it while I can have my own personal playground if I want.

Just my 3.14159265 cents worth,
Brian

"O. Kouame" wrote:

> I've noticed while looking at posts that a lot of novice DBAs or
> beginners don't have access to a real database when studying. I'm
> thinking of starting a service consisting of about a dozen machines
> linked together simulating a real life OLTP system with about 1000
> simulated users which will be opened to novices to let them see what a
> real db looks like and allowing them to practise procedures like
> backups and tuning. I'd appreciate any opinions or comments on the
> idea.
>
> Thanks,

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com