Re: Oracle novice training idea

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:40:49 +0100

"O. Kouame" <olivier.kouame_at_wylesight.com> wrote in message news:5b27c85f.0309231005.14475210_at_posting.google.com...
> I've noticed while looking at posts that a lot of novice DBAs or
> beginners don't have access to a real database when studying. I'm
> thinking of starting a service consisting of about a dozen machines
> linked together simulating a real life OLTP system with about 1000
> simulated users which will be opened to novices to let them see what a
> real db looks like and allowing them to practise procedures like
> backups and tuning. I'd appreciate any opinions or comments on the
> idea.

Lets say you setup the service using VPN so that the hacker idea is avoided somewhat. Lets also assume that you decide on an 8 processor RAC setup. That will cost you 384,000 dollars in license fees alone. Of course you could remove RAC and you would only be talking 1/4 million dollars.

Now what are you going to charge these newbie DBAs?

I think that there is a reason you don't see many companies offering oracle hosting :(.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA