Re: Q: Oracle sqlplus way to capture all duplications and removal.

From: ColoC <colocoloc_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 8 Sep 2003 06:44:00 -0700

vslabs_at_onwe.co.za (Billy Verreynne) wrote in message news:<1a75df45.0309072205.1ab3be6f_at_posting.google.com>...
> colocoloc_at_yahoo.com (ColoC) wrote
>
> > Yes, I do wish to learn more about this "parallel query" technique --
> > not for this specific question, but for my own growth in knowledge --
>
> The Parallel Option must be installed and configured on the Oracle
> instance. It allows you to process big volumes of data in parallel.
> The easiest way to use it is via hints to the Oracle CBO in the SQL
> statement, e.g.
> select
> /*+ FULL(x) PARALLEL(x,4) */
> count(*)
> from foo x
>
> The hint tells Oracle that I would like a full table scan (FTS) on
> table foo and that 4 parallel processes should be used.
>
> You can read more about it in the Oracle 9i Concepts Manual, Part VI.

We are on Oracle 8. However if I do a:

select * from V$OPTION;

and I found the following:

PARAMETER           VALUE
Parallel Server     FALSE

Does that mean this Oracle is not configured to be "parallel-sever-ready"? -- See, I can not even get this information from the DBA -- probably the DBA never knows it.

> > I am not as good as being an Oracle DBA, but at least I am trying to
> > learn something.
>
> Which is good. By the same token you should also realise that
> technical work-arounds for political issues is not a solution.

That's politics -- maybe they are looking for some reasons to dismiss me. Who knows?

ColoC Received on Mon Sep 08 2003 - 08:44:00 CDT