Re: Q: Oracle sqlplus way to capture all duplications and removal.

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 7 Sep 2003 23:05:29 -0700

colocoloc_at_yahoo.com (ColoC) wrote

> Yes, I do wish to learn more about this "parallel query" technique --
> not for this specific question, but for my own growth in knowledge --

The Parallel Option must be installed and configured on the Oracle instance. It allows you to process big volumes of data in parallel. The easiest way to use it is via hints to the Oracle CBO in the SQL statement, e.g.
select
  /*+ FULL(x) PARALLEL(x,4) */
  count(*)
from foo x

The hint tells Oracle that I would like a full table scan (FTS) on table foo and that 4 parallel processes should be used.

You can read more about it in the Oracle 9i Concepts Manual, Part VI.

> I am not as good as being an Oracle DBA, but at least I am trying to
> learn something.

Which is good. By the same token you should also realise that technical work-arounds for political issues is not a solution.

--
Billy