Re: Allowing Oracle transactions to span client processes

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 6 Sep 2003 13:41:07 -0700

ben_ml_at_hotmail.com (Ben) wrote in message

> However, I've had a quick look at the docs and I think that Workspace
> might not work very well in our system.
<snipped>

Ben, I'm a bit confused to as what you want. (no big surprise there as I have yet to reach my daily caffeine quota - and even that does not always help).

The thread title says - 1 transaction spanning client processes (or sessions as we call it in Oracle).

In my mind it means that app A makes some changes to table FOO. And commit. However this commit must not change the live FOO table. App B comes along and picks up where app A has left. Etc. Until app D decides enough is enough and commit these changes tp the live FOO table. Each of these transactions in the workspace behaves like a normal second/sub-second transaction - it simply does not change the data in LIVE. It works within the current selected workspace version of that data.

That to me means using Oracle Workspace.

And yes - the clients will need to know in what workspace to work. But that is an implementation issue and IMO easily solved (using anything from a PL/SQL calls to a database session trigger).

--
Billy