Re: Annual Oracle World Database Survey

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 6 Sep 2003 14:02:21 -0700

joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote

> How 'bout editable .inp files for forms? :-)

One thing that I have never done, and never will do, is Forms. Unless there is really a very rude and totally obscene amount of cold green cash involved. :-)

What I would like is a Delphi VM in Oracle, instead of PL/SQL. Wet dream stuff I know, but Delphi is rude and very obescene when it comes to OO kewlness and freakily good features. Add a thin client "Oracle/Delphi browser" to the mix and you have everything the web, HTTP and Java fail to offer.

This whole "thin client architecture" using HTTP and Java and what not reminds me of aviation wanting something that was to become the helo. They tried all kinds of VTOL (Vertical Take Off and Landing) designs using fixed prop, fixed/tilting wing designs. Then a man called Sikorski step up to the challenge and did something that made no purist engineering sense. He build a system where you drive a tail rotor by stealing power from the main rotor system in order to provide anti-torque stability.. and he introduced the cyclic and collective controls.

Helo designs of today still follow approach..

Web services, web tier, web-enabling.. that is no different from the old VTOL designs using the conventional purist approach in an attempt to solve a problem.. one that is not even clearly defined. And they conveniently forgot that we have had thin-client architectures back in the 80's and 70's. They were called mainframes using block character devices as thin clients. And it worked pretty damn well.

Er.. got a bit side tracked here. BTW, read up on old man Sikorski. He was an amazing engineer with a very different approach to solving problems. He would have been a hell of a software/database "engineer".

--
Billy