Re: Allowing Oracle transactions to span client processes

From: Ben <ben_ml_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 6 Sep 2003 01:14:59 -0700

> > Only con I can think of is that this is not an 8i feature and will
> > require you to go to 9i. (which is a Good Thing (tm) anyway ;-)

> For more info - go to OTN's sample code & look up 'Workspace', 'Long
> Transactions' and'Track History of your data changes'. I think there's an
> OBE for this as well.

Specifying that 9i is a requirement for our software would be OK so I could ignore the version 8.1.X issues.

However, I've had a quick look at the docs and I think that Workspace might not work very well in our system. It can have multiple users, each of whom can be editing data for different 'items' on the database via our clients. I wouldn't want the transactions to take more than a few seconds (or a minute at the worst) so I can't help thinking that Workspace is probably overkill.

It also seems like I would have to manage each "transaction" externally to the several (client) applications running SQL statements in it (Workspace would then commit all changes globally) Have I misunderstood this? How would each separate process know that it was running in a given workspace? It sounds like I'd need an API that I can all from each of my client processes (remember that means Java, C++ and VB code) in order to enter into a workspace? And I'd certainly need a call I could make from any of my clients that would tell a Workspace to "commit".

I'm still toying with the idea of writing my own simple transaction manager... scary...

Best regards
Ben Received on Sat Sep 06 2003 - 03:14:59 CDT