Re: Which is faster? <> or Between

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 15:52:16 GMT

> All I said was, I do not need DBA sit besides me when I run explain
> plan. Actually, I do not even run explain plan, I just use tools that would
> do that for me when I feel like it.

There is a problem above. All SQL statements should be tuned, even if it seems perfectly obvious what the execution plan should be.

> Like I've said, when it comes to query tuning, I am perfectly capable of
> doing it without DBA's assistance. The reverse is not true - they will
> usually ask a developer for help if there is a performance issue beyond
> anything obvious like lost index or broken stats. And it's the developer
> who recommends best index types, and partitioning, and histograms, etc - not
> because our DBAs are stupid, but because developers know the application and
> the data much better.
>
> Yes, I know there are DBAs out there who are actively involved in the
> development process and know the application and the data. I worked with a
> couple of them, I used to be a MSSQL DBA myself, but in Oracle world it is a
> pretty rare beast.

Maybe it is a "rare beast" from where you come from, but not in most Oracle shops. I'd have to disagree with your statements. In my experience, the DBA knows much, much more about query tuning then application developers. And I haven't seen DBAs go running off to developers for assistance if the "there is a performance issue beyond anything obvious like lost index or broken stats." In my experience, it is the other way around.

Just my 3.14159265 cents worth,
Brian

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com