Re: Which is faster? <> or Between

From: Isaac Blank <izblank_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 16:45:22 GMT

"Brian Peasland" <oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com> wrote in message news:3F02FFB0.6F579E3B_at_remove_spam.peasland.com...
> > All I said was, I do not need DBA sit besides me when I run explain
> > plan. Actually, I do not even run explain plan, I just use tools that
would
> > do that for me when I feel like it.
>
> There is a problem above. All SQL statements should be tuned, even if it
> seems perfectly obvious what the execution plan should be.

    True, but execution plans in development and test environments often differ from production - different table sizes, different data distribution. If I see a problem with execution plan in development, it does not necessarily mean a problem in production. I usually double check with the stress test environment, which is closest to production, but for new tables there is no reasonable way out. So all I can do is monitor - and that's where DBAs are really helpful.