Re: Which is faster? <> or Between

From: Isaac Blank <izblank_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 15:26:13 GMT

"Ed Prochak" <edprochak_at_adelphia.net> wrote in message news:3F0246B0.9070803_at_adelphia.net...
> Isaac Blank wrote:
> > I agree that it's a DBA's job to create the table and grant the
> > privileges. But normally I have to run explain plan several times
trying
> > to find the best version of the query. And quite often it involves more
> > than just creating another index or re-writing the query to an
equivalent
> > form. Quite often I have to know the application and the data to be
able to
> > solve the performance issue. Having a DBA sit besides me all the times
> > need to run explain plan would be wasting his/her time.
> >

> Why? If it solves the production issue, where's the time wasted??

    All I said was, I do not need DBA sit besides me when I run explain plan. Actually, I do not even run explain plan, I just use tools that would do that for me when I feel like it.

    Like I've said, when it comes to query tuning, I am perfectly capable of doing it without DBA's assistance. The reverse is not true - they will usually ask a developer for help if there is a performance issue beyond anything obvious like lost index or broken stats. And it's the developer who recommends best index types, and partitioning, and histograms, etc - not because our DBAs are stupid, but because developers know the application and the data much better.

    Yes, I know there are DBAs out there who are actively involved in the development process and know the application and the data. I worked with a couple of them, I used to be a MSSQL DBA myself, but in Oracle world it is a pretty rare beast.

> And yes, I have had to bring in a DBA to assist in some problems. Very
rarely,
> but it has happened. I do not think we wasted time and neither did the
> company/managers we worked for.

    The key word is rarely :-) - exactly my point.

> Do you really try to develop with one hand tied behind your back?

    Not by my choice :-) Received on Wed Jul 02 2003 - 10:26:13 CDT