Re: table disk usage?

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 03:47:46 GMT

Thanks Daniel,
I've worked at companies and done the bend over bit. It hurts. Worked at one company where they would not hire support people. (can't afford more of them) The installed base was growing on a complex product. A new version of the product was going to be released after 2 years of development. (you can see it coming) The release came, the quality was not there, the tsunami came. 3 months into the tsunami management said we could hire people. It was a complex product and took 6 months to train people. We all worked very very hard. (compared to before the tsunami the call volume with up by 4 X and the resolution time went up 4 X also - 16 X more work) The tsunami lasted for 9 months. The department lost over 33% of the senior people - turn over had been closer to 5%/year. Support folk were very short tempered and a department that worked well together fell apart and people exhibited behaviors that are not apropos at work. (Yes, management was told repeatedly this was going on - they did nothing but say pull on the oars harder) I personally, went through a long bout of depression even after I left the company. It is not something I will willingly participate in again. I would not encourage anyone to bend over for that type of abuse. (self inflicted or management inflicted) I lost a lot (there was never any pay compensation for the 7 days a week 5 AM start time, 7 PM end time) of friends and it was a painful experience.

Laying off the DBA and not making sure there is some way to replace some of that function - consultants, part time, outsource, training - management is making one of several statements. Either they are incompetent at judging the value of the DBA, they do not value their data, or they figure they can sucker you into working your ass off for no more pay and if something goes wrong fire it.

In any event, you (Bob) will be the loser not them. (I am not saying you are a loser, not at all, just they will suck you dry and NOT compensate you for it.) If you feel retaining your job is the compensation you are getting, consider quietly looking for something else. On the other hand, if you are interested in learning this stuff then you should negotiate training. In that event, if they blame you for some problem you will at least have had some good training and be more qualified for another job. I don't wish you ill will at all; I wish you the best of luck and hope it turns out for the best. Don't be a "hero", look out for number one, it is fair.

Jim

--
Replace part of the email address: kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_attbi.com
with family.  Remove the negative part, keep the minus sign.  You can figure
"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message

> Ecce Nihil wrote:
>
> > Golly gosh that's good advice Dad.
> >
> > This is a technical newsgroup, the guy doesn't need life advice or how
> > to shaft a company by letting things fail.
> >

> No of course not. Better to cover for bad management decisions and take
> the blame when you are asked to do things you are not trained to do and
> make a really big mess.
>
> I have a friend that needs a small tumor removed from his prostate.
Perhaps