Re: Acquired Oracle 8i

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 09:21:30 +0100

"Anthony" <wallabyedward_at_hunterlink.net.au> wrote in message news:b9a47v$h7mqq$1_at_ID-82947.news.dfncis.de...
> I have acquired Oracle 8i, but lost the doco (;-)).

tahiti.oracle.com

> In the ODBC datasource's (oh so not) helpful interface 98 provides there
> are three oracle drivers to choose from .
>
> Big question . . . which one do I select ??

I'd go for the latest Oracle driver, and if you are using VB ditch ODBC in favour of ADO/OLEDB.

> I'd like to be able to interface VB5 to Oracle. PL is okay but a tad
limited
> IMNSHO.
Depends what you are doing (and I'm assuming you mean PL/SQL ?). If you are doing computations, and other stuff that requires a lot of computation, go for a programming language, if you want to manipulate data then use SQL if you can and PL/SQL if you can't.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA