Re: newbie question

From: Valentine Gogichashvili <valgog_at_biofrontera.de>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:51:12 +0100

To say the truth, is will be faster for you to read the Administration Guide first :) but I will try to answer some questions of yours :-)

> I have been working with SQL Server 6.5 and 2000 for about 3 years and
> starting to use oracle (installed it the weekend) and encountered a few
> problems (I'm sorry if these seem stupid questions but I am new to
> Oracle) -- 9i release 2 redhat linux 8 ---
>

> 1.- I install oracle OK (create the groups, the oracle user, tweak
> memory of kernel) but when I tried to connect with SQLPLUS I get a Oracle
> not available. So I configured another port with Oracle network
> configuration and It now connect ok. Is this normal or something going
> wrong?

For sqlplus to connect it first needs to know wich instance it connects to. So you have to set the environment variable ORACLE_SID for that. It also can use the tnsname that is stored in ${ORACLE_HOME}/network/admin/tnsnames.ora

firt try to "tnsping" the instance

> 2.- When I login with SQLPLUS how can I specify the database (If I
> understand the listener listens to different ports for each database).

You can configure several listeners running on different ports, but one listener is enough to connect you to several instances of the database. Better read about the principals of work and about the configuration of listener in the documentation :-)

> 3.- I hear there is an Oracle Enterprise manager (like SQL Server's
one)
> where is it located?, I looked in the bin directory and can't find it (I
> installed the database and client tools of the oracle 9i2 cd's)

it is usually installed by default. As it is the java aplication you should run it using "oemapp" application.

when you run "oemapp" without parameters, you can see the list of installed management applications.
Something like this:

bash-2.03$ oemapp
Usage: oemapp <application name>
The installed applications are: worksheet, console, dbastudio ------- here the "dbastudio" is the application you are interested in, so run it with command "oemapp dbastudio &"

> 4.- Is there any (integrated or third party) tools to create stored
> procedures like SQL server's query analyzer, is there any tool like SQL
> Server's profiler.

You will find everything in Enterprise Manager :-)

There is a really nice tool "PL/SQL Developer" from www.allroundautomations.com but it works only on windows clients.

> 5.- I know there is a lot of information out there and the
documentation
> on the CD is excellent but is there a fast guide on setting oracle up on
> Linux.

Here I cannot help :-) I personally prefer to read the original documentation. When you understand the ideology, you will not need any guides.

Respectfully,

Valentine Gogichashvili Received on Mon Mar 10 2003 - 09:51:12 CST